Fayette City man shoots himself before police could take him into custody
A Fayette County man shot himself in the head and died Monday afternoon, shortly after state police arrived at a Monessen residence to serve an arrest warrant on him, investigators said.
Jackie Lee Sabo, 37, of Fayette City, was pronounced dead at a Rostraver Street address by a Westmoreland County deputy coroner, according to state police at Belle Vernon.
Troopers and officers from the Monessen police department went to the residence and made contact with Sabo about 4:40 p.m.
Sabo shot himself a short time later, police said.
According to online court records, state police on July 3 filed charges of prohibited possession of firearm, terroristic threats, false imprisonment, simple assault and harassment against Sabo with District Judge Richard Kasunic II.
Investigation into the incident is continuing, police said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Grandparents’ bids for child custody imperiled
- Westmoreland couple charged with having heroin, marijuana
- 3 charged in Norfolk Southern safety device theft
- Derry Township terminates Eastern Derry VFD relief fund
- New Stanton considers contracting for police
- Truck headed for Yukon landfill spills content
- New Florence assistant fire chief suspended in midst of arrest on sexual assault charges
- Applications to open next week for holiday food baskets, toys
- New Florence assistant fire chief charged with having sex with juvenile
- Ligonier’s Eastwood Inn changes hands
- Hempfield woman bounces back from serious car crash