Mt. Pleasant museum kicking off membership drive Sept. 1
Mt. Pleasant Glass Museum will kick off its first annual membership drive on Sept. 1. It has been awarded a challenge grant from the Community Foundation of Westmoreland County to help achieve its membership goals. Thanks to the grant, anyone who joins the museum during that period will pay half price for their membership.
• To begin the drive, the museum will hold its first annual member appreciation party at 7 p.m. Aug. 25. The invitation-only event will offer prizes, music, gourmet food and giveaways. All current and former members will receive an invitation in the mail and are asked to register as soon as possible.
• During the challenge grant, donators can pay half the cost of a membership and the challenge grant will pay the remainder, for example:
— A student pays $7.50 and the grant pays $7.50 for a total of $15.
— A senior pays $10 and the grant pays $10 for a total of $20.
— A regular member pays 12.50 and the grant pays 12.50.
— A family pays $17.50 and the grant pays $17.50 for a total of $35.
— A business pays $25 and the grant pays $25 for a total of $50.
• What you get for membership are:
— Four newsletters a year.
— Two free entries to any exhibits in a year.
— Two free entries to museum speaker series.
— Invitation to the annual member appreciation party.
— Invitation to the openings of exhibits.
— Satisfaction in knowing you are keeping the museum doors open.
• The membership drive will end June 1, 2015. It is for the 2015 calendar year. Those who joined the museum in July and also August will be included in the 2015 membership.
• If museum patrons pay the full membership, the museum will not get double the money. You can pay half for yourself and another half as a gift to a new member. This is a great gift for family and friends. Please provide full address and email.
• Your membership and donation are important because the museum has been awarded more than $14,000 in grants so far this year. Each grant covers a specific thing, such as exhibits, equipment, special projects, etc. Foundations and other grantors usually do not offer grants for general operations, which means museum rent, utilities and salaries (no employees at the present time) must come from membership, donations and events.
• The speaker series has been well attended, but other museum events have not.
• The museum's basic operating expenses are $14,000 a year. A professional to run the museum needs to be hired.
• Senior workers can only stay a year and then their salary must be paid by the museum.
• Your support is vital to the museum's existence and it is tax deductible.
• The Mt. Pleasant Glass Museum is located at the Mt. Pleasant Glass Center (the former Lenox Crystal plant), 402 E. Main St. (Route 31 East), Suite 600, Mt. Pleasant.
For more information about the museum or its events, call 724-547-5929 or email email@example.com.
Cassandra Vivian is president of the museum's board of directors.