Greensburg man accused of having sex with 13-year-old
A Greensburg man who is on the Megan's Law list was charged on Thursday with having sex with a 13-year-old girl in his apartment several times between April and July.
Christian Alan Leach, 27, was arraigned on charges of statutory sexual assault, indecent assault of a person younger than 16 years, unlawful contact with a minor, aggravated indecent assault, criminal use of a community facility, corruption of minors, interference of custody of a child, concealment of a child and obstruction of law.
The Westmoreland County district attorney's office withdrew earlier charges filed against Leach after the teen was found in his North Jefferson Avenue apartment on July 24.
The girl admitted during an interview in the district attorney's office on Aug. 1 that she and Leach had a physical relationship, Greensburg police said.
She said she didn't mention the relationship when police found her hiding in Leach's shower because she didn't want him to go to jail, authorities said. She said she had feelings for Leach and was afraid, police said.
The teen told investigators last week that she had sex with Leach after they had texted regularly, became friends and he said he loved her, according to an affidavit filed by Patrolman Justin Scalzo.
They began a physical relationship in April or May, she said.
Leach told her not to tell anyone about their relationship because “he could go to jail for a very long time,” investigators said.
Police started looking for the teen on July 24 after they received a call from her grandmother, who said she was worried that the girl was with Leach.
The teen said she heard police knocking on Leach's door. He “instructed her to get dressed and to hide in the shower, or he would go to prison for a very long time,” she told investigators, according to the affidavit.
Police searched Leach's apartment on Aug. 1, looking for trace DNA evidence, especially on a couch where the teen said she had sex with Leach, court papers indicated. Stains found on the couch are being processed for DNA, police said.
Leach shook his head no several times as Greensburg District Judge James Albert reviewed the charges with him during his arraignment.
“He disputes all the allegations ... and wants to take it to trial,” said Anthony Bompiani, an assistant public defender.
Leach pleaded guilty in September 2012 in Westmoreland County Court to charges of unlawful contact with a minor, indecent assault and other offenses involving another teen.
As a Megan's Law offender, he is not allowed to have unsupervised contact with a minor.
Leach was jailed in lieu of posting $150,000 bond and faces a preliminary hearing on Aug. 21.
Bob Stiles is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836 -6622 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sale of former SCI Greensburg prison to advance despite lawmakers’ objections
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Mt. Pleasant Business District Authority picks officers
- Fast-growing Americans for Prosperity opens location in Greensburg
- Jeannette teen, charged with killing another, took ‘selfie’ with body, court papers say
- Court in the Classroom program provides insight for Norwin High School students
- Deputy sheriff seeks top spot in Greensburg office
- Ligonier Township planners offer suggested changes to zoning proposal
- Police claim woman stabbed husband at their Jeannette business
- Prosecutors want texts back in Pinkney trial
- Excela center proposal worries residents of Hempfield neighborhood