Forbes: Westmoreland Fair continues through Saturday
The Westmoreland Fair is now going strong and will be taking place through Saturday on the fairgrounds in Mt. Pleasant Township. There are plenty of great things to do and see at the fair and lots of wonderful entertainment.
The fair has lots of great indoor exhibits and displays and naturally there are plenty of animals to visit and enjoy. Don't worry about eating, there are plenty of great food booths at the fair and many are manned by local nonprofits.
For a complete listing of all events, gates prices and activities visit the website at www.westmoreland.com.
• A big congrats to Rich Kujawa for another wonderful Car Cruise held last Friday. The event is always well attended and is a great fundraiser for the Mt. Pleasant Glass and Ethnic Festival.
• The final free Concert in the Park will be held Sunday at the gazebo located adjacent to Veterans Park. Mike Christopher will be the featured musical attraction. He will begin playing at 6:30 p.m. The event also will include a motorcycle show. The evening is sponsored by Grille 31. Bring your chairs and blankets and enjoy.
• A memorial golf outing for Michael Vomish of Mt. Pleasant will be held on Saturday at the Timber Ridge Golf Course in East Huntingdon. The event will be $75 per person or $300 for a team. All proceeds from the event will benefit United Steelers Junior Football of Norvelt, a team that Vomish played for and who meant a lot to him. There is still time to register. For those who do not want to golf but who want to participate, they can attend just the dinner for $25. For information, call 724-547-4812.
• Bullskin Senior Center will host its annual “Peach Festival” from 4 to 7 p.m. on Saturday at the center located at 52 Medsger Road in Bullskin Township. The yearly event is always a popular event, so plan to attend. Cost for adults will be $6; children $3; all will have their choice of peaches and ice cream with choice of cake or cobbler and drink. The kitchen also will be open for other food to purchase.
• Mt. Pleasant Farmers Market is being held through mid-October, from 1 to 6 p.m. every Wednesday at Shop Demo Depot parking area. There are lots of fresh produce and other wonderful items from which to choose. It's always nice to support our local farmers and vendors.
• The Mt. Pleasant Library is offering beginners crochet classes for anyone interested in learning this great skill. Classes are held from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays at the library. For more information, call 724-547-3850.
• Ohiopyle is looking for vendors and crafters for its upcoming Music in the Mountains 2014 to be held Aug. 30 and 31 at the park. All crafts must be homemade. No food vendors will be permitted. For information or to register, call 724-329-8594 or email email@example.com.
• The second annual Corey Moximchalk Golf Classic will be held Sept. 7 at the Norvelt Golf Course, so mark your calendars now. The event will cost $85 per person. For those who wish to only attend the dinner, a $25 fee will be charged. Sponsorships for the event are still being offered. For more information, call 724-516-1792.
• Get a great new whiter smile to go with your summer tan. Dr. Paul Kraisinger is offering a special on teeth whitening. Total cost of the procedure will be donated toward the purchase of a handicapped vehicle for Mt. Pleasant graduate Ted Pence, who lost his vehicle in the spring. The whitening fundraiser is called “Smiles for Ted” and will run through Sept. 1, Labor Day. You can go to either the Mt. Pleasant or Greensburg offices for the procedure, which will be for a $175 donation. Get a big white smile and donate toward a young man who needs some help. For an appointment, call 724-836-DENT (724-836-3368).
To submit an item for this column, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Marilyn Forbes is a Mt. Pleasant resident.