Videotaping suspect from Greensburg doesn't show at hearing
The man charged with peeping on and secretly photographing and filming several people in Greensburg and Unity did not show up for his preliminary hearing on Thursday afternoon, leading District Judge James Albert to issue a warrant for his arrest.
John Robert Miller Jr., 56, of Greensburg is charged in connection with nine incidents. He had been free on bond pending Thursday's hearing.
Miller's lawyer, Lawrence Burns, told Albert he did not know his client's whereabouts. Burns and Miller last spoke Wednesday to confirm the time of the hearing.
“Right now, I'm at a complete loss as to why he isn't here,” Burns told Albert.
Miller was arrested in January after being caught allegedly videotaping a Unity woman in her bathroom.
When police searched his cellphone, they found evidence that he had illegally filmed six other people in various states of undress and sexual activity. In one case, he allegedly filmed a 35-year-old woman and her 6-year-old daughter through a bathroom window.
Several members of Miller's family were at Thursday's hearing. Burns advised them to file a missing persons report.
“I'm worried for his safety,” Burns said.
After his arrest in January, police said Miller told them he routinely parked at Sharky's Cafe, off Route 30, and walked through a nearby neighborhood at night.
Court records show he was convicted in 2003 on multiple counts of burglary.
If he is arrested, Miller will be arraigned and his bond re-evaluated. The preliminary hearing date will be rescheduled.
Jacob Tierney is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-836-6646 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Endowment of $3.49B makes University of Pittsburgh 25th richest in U.S.
- Rostraver Democrat aims for 1 of 3 open spots on Westmoreland County bench
- New Alexandria tree trimmer pleads guilty to fraud
- Westmoreland County settles with fired public defender
- Braddock man held for trial in Jeannette assault, robbery
- Three injured in two-vehicle accident on Arona Road in Hempfield
- Suspect in West Newton burglary sought, alleged accomplice arrested
- Woman pays $178 fine for Westmoreland courthouse conduct
- Rustic Ridge Mine permit request criticized
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- IRS scam snares another Westmoreland County resident