'Canadian Caper' diplomat sheltered Americans in Iran
OTTAWA — John Sheardown, an unflappable Canadian diplomat in Tehran during the Iran hostage crisis who helped shelter six American “house guests” until they were secretly shuttled out of the country, died Dec. 30 in a hospital in Ottawa. He was 88.
He had Alzheimer's disease, said his wife, Zena Sheardown.
In the events that became known as the “Canadian Caper,” Sheardown was serving officially as the top immigration official at the embassy in Tehran. Recounting the 1979 ordeal, historian Robert Wright wrote that the portly, ruddy-faced Sheardown “exuded the sort of quiet but unyielding resolve that made him a natural leader in a crisis.”
The strife began when an Iranian mob seized the U.S. Embassy on Nov. 4, 1979, and took 52 Americans hostage in retaliation for Western support for the recently deposed shah. As was retold in the Ben Affleck film “Argo” (2012), six Americans managed to evade the hostage takers.
Sheardown became a vital — but necessarily discreet — point of contact for the desperate Americans seeking sanctuary. When the mission proved successful, he was often overshadowed in the public imagination by more prominent government officials.
He figured in a 1981 Canadian television film, “Escape from Iran,” and later in books as a loyal and daring supporting player. More noticeably featured were Canadian officials including Prime Minister Joseph Clark, Foreign Minister Flora MacDonald and Ken Taylor, the gregarious ambassador to Iran lauded by Time magazine as the rescue plot's “mastermind and instant hero.”
Most recently, Victor Garber portrayed Taylor in “Argo.” Sheardown was not a character in the film.
But as Kathleen Stafford, one of the American “house guests,” recalled in an interview Tuesday, Sheardown was “a lifesaver” at a time when she and her colleagues feared for their safety.
In the days after the Embassy takeover, the six fugitives assumed the turmoil would subside quickly. They hid in the homes of their abducted colleagues and spent brief periods in other embassies, but tensions continued to build and their security became ever more precarious.
Robert Anders, another of the fugitives, knew Sheardown and called him to request official protection.
“Why didn't you call sooner?” Sheardown replied.
Five of the six Americans arranged passage to the Sheardown residence in the suburbs north of Tehran and arrived on Nov. 10. Sheardown, who had helped obtain permission from Ottawa, phoned Taylor to say that the “house guests” had arrived. They were followed by the sixth American, Henry Lee Schatz, who had been hiding at the Swedish Embassy.
The Taylors took Stafford and her husband, Joseph. The other four — Anders, Schatz and Mark and Cora Lijek — stayed with the Sheardowns.
“We were under surveillance,” Sheardown once told an interviewer. “We had tanks at one end of the street and a fellow that walked up and down. They were always suspicious.”
During the two months they quartered the Americans, the Sheardowns took precautions to avoid tipping off the authorities. To feed the extra mouths — especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas — they bought groceries at different stores to disguise the amount of food consumed at the home.
Sheardown took garbage with him on the route to work, to camouflage the amount of refuse they were generating. The CIA arranged preparations for the Americans' departure, which became urgent as the Iranians erected roadblocks and rumors of the house guests spread among Western media.
On Jan. 28, 1980, the six Americans were spirited out of the country with fake Canadian passports and disguised as members of a Hollywood film crew.
Soon after, the Sheardowns left the country. The American captives from the embassy were held for almost another year — until Jan. 21, 1981, after Ronald Reagan's inauguration.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pittsburgh City Council President officially cited for dumping trash on steps of South Side business
- Woman dead in three-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Rape charges dropped against NY man, statute of limitations expired
- Duquesne Light workers find decomposing body
- Richland man sues over injuries suffered as bystander to police chase
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Man accused of sexual contact with teen in Indiana County
- Monday - Oct. 20, 2014
- County investigators determine fatal McKeesport fire started in living room
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Penguins send down pair, Bortuzzo practices