Mom's volunteering aided church, community
For Peg Fleischer, volunteering was a way of life.
“Her volunteer contributions to the Citizen Ambulance Committee of West Deer, where she answered all the emergency calls, was legendary,” said William Siwicki, owner of the former J.R. Siwicki Funeral Home, where Mrs. Fleischer worked for 10 years.
Margaret L. “Peg” Dugan Fleischer of West Deer died on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2013, in UPMC St. Margaret, near Aspinwall. She was 82.
Charles “Marty” Fleischer of Butler, former West Deer police chief, said his mother would get up in the middle of the night to handle an emergency call and rush out of their house if needed.
“And along with my father, they helped to establish the present West Deer EMS in 1977, where my mother served on the board of directors and as secretary,” he said.
“We had awesome parents, who despite hard economic times, always did the best for their children. My mother was active in the Bull Creek Presbyterian Church, where we attended Sunday school. And as my sister, Susan; my brother, Ron; and I were growing up, she was a Girl Scout and Cub Scout group leader.”
Mrs. Fleischer's desire to help those in need began during her senior year at Har-Brack High School in Natrona Heights, when she dropped out to help her ailing mother.
Born and raised in Brackenridge, she was a daughter of steelworker Martin J. Dugan and his wife, Mary Louise Dugan.
In addition to her son, Marty, Mrs. Fleischer is survived by her husband, Charles H. “Chuck” Fleischer; a son, Ronald G. Fleischer of Sarver; and a daughter, Susan J. McClafferty of Blawnox; 13 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her sister, Alice J. Rumbaugh of West Deer; and her stepmother, Catherine Dugan.
Friends will be received from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Friday in Siwicki-Yanicko Funeral Home, 23 McKrell Road, West Deer. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday in Bull Creek United Presbyterian Church in West Deer.
Jerry Vondas is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7823 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wainwright, Cardinals rough up Locke in 6-4 victory over Pirates
- Lambo no longer in limbo with Pirates
- Four issues that the Steelers need to take care of in September
- Pair share love of dance with youths in Fayette, Westmoreland
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto says new police chief’s skills fit the job well
- Google’s corporate products division changes name
- Slovenian Club in Claridge is marking 100th anniversary
- Fittingly, a party ushers out Revel
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Penn State football team’s future won’t include ‘Distraction’ trips
- Police: Man jailed for throwing girl, 9, as she defended her mother