Giant Eagle executive unwound with golf
In his younger days, Sam Amodeo played the hot corner for Pittsburgh Central Catholic High School's first baseball team. In his later years, he traded his baseball mitt for a golf glove and organized a weekly game for older golfers.
“He not only played on the first team, he put on the first uniform ... made by a guy in Wilkinsburg. He had him try it on,” said his son, Jon L. Amodeo of Oakmont. “He organized the Senior Swat (league) for all the retirees to play (Oakmont Country Club) on Wednesdays, when the pressure wasn't so bad.”
Samuel L. Amodeo of Oakmont, a retired senior vice president of store operations at Giant Eagle, died on Saturday, May 18, 2013. He was 73.
Mr. Amodeo was a graduate of St. James Grade School in Wilkinsburg and a 1956 graduate of Central Catholic in Oakland.
An Army veteran, he retired from Giant Eagle after 40 years. He was a member of St. Irenaeus Church, Oakmont, and Oakmont Country Club.
“He does have a legacy here,” said Oakmont pro Bob Ford. “The Senior Swat has grown to about 70 members. ... He's really made a lot of people happy. Everybody liked Sam.”
His son said they were best friends.
“We spoke every day. ... He was my golfing partner. He was firm, fair and consistent.”
Mr. Amodeo taught his children to live by a simple creed, Jon Amodeo said.
“You want to see your future, pay attention to who you hang out with,” his son said.
In addition to his son, Jon, Mr. Amodeo is survived by his wife, Kaaren L. Amodeo; four daughters, Sherry Farina of Johnstown, Rosie Biondo of Murrysville, Kay Janflone of Monongahela and Suzanne Amodeo of Tarentum; a son, Michael Amodeo of South Park; a sister, Roseanne McNeil; and 10 grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a sister, Katherine.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Tuesday in St. Irenaeus Church, Oakmont. Interment will be private.
Memorial contributions may be made to St. Irenaeus Church or Lupus Foundation of Pennsylvania, Landmarks Building, 100 W. Station Square Drive, Suite 1920, Pittsburgh, PA 15219.
Craig Smith is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5646 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- Penguins minor league notebook: Pouliot impresses early in season
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Egypt’s beleaguered tourism industry bounces back
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- Springdale Library to pay rent to borough
- Pitt football notebook: Panthers’ depth at RB, offensive line shows against Syracuse
- Woman on dating site looks too good to be true: How to vet that pic
- The bullet inside your body ‘becomes a part of you’
- Allegheny County buck may prove to be state’s largest ever taken