ObamaCare lives: America in peril
Published: Thursday, June 28, 2012, 12:52 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
John Roberts stunned the nation on Thursday when the conservative Supreme Court chief justice became the swing vote and led a liberal minority into the majority to uphold the Affordable Care Act.
While the court found one of ObamaCare's most contentious measures — the individual insurance mandate and its penalty for noncompliance — to be unconstitutional under the commerce and necessary and proper clauses, it ruled that it does pass constitutional muster as a tax.
The ultimate irony, if not the legal quandary, is that President Obama, congressional acolytes and administration lawyers (except in court) repeatedly insisted the penalty was not a tax.
And as the conservative minority wrote in dissent, the 5-4 majority “save(d) a statute Congress did not write.”
Thus, the Supreme Court has created a new and incredibly steep slippery slope that gives the federal government an ever larger cudgel that threatens the basic foundations of America — freedom, liberty and independence.
And that's a ticking time bomb of a “gift” as America prepares to celebrate its 236th birthday.
- Locke, Pirates power past Brewers, 5-2
- Outdoor notices: May 25, 2013
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Thousands walk, run last mile of marathon
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Pitt awaits NCAA Tournament fate after loss to Notre Dame in Big East baseball
- State champion 400 relay highlights girls team title for Hempfield
- Rankin teen charged in 16-year-old girl’s shooting death
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.