ObamaCare in Pa.
Gov. Corbett's decision regarding ObamaCare — keeping Pennsylvania in the system — is terrible.
Our state has a high proportion of poor and seniors who will be forced on to Medicaid rolls in the near future due to ObamaCare. Pennsylvania simply will not have the funds to pay for this.
While thousands are retiring each day, ObamaCare reduces Medicare spending tremendously. The result will be increasing Medicare premiums to the point where they are no longer affordable by the average user. Therefore, a tremendous number of retirees will be forced into Medicaid for their coverage.
This will occur only after seniors are forced into poverty because they'll use up their assets to qualify for Medicaid. And since some states will opt out of the Medicaid provision, hundreds of thousands of retirees will look for states that do offer this alternative. Imagine a tripling of the number of people in our Medicaid system. Pennsylvania cannot now — nor in the future — support this.
Corbett also ignores the current political situation, giving President Obama a victory of sorts in Pennsylvania. I can see a headline, “Corbett backs off Obama-Care, now agrees with president.” Mitt Rom- ney and the Republican U.S. Senate candidate, Tom Smith, can't use this issue in the same way they could have if Corbett had taken Pennsylvania out of the system.
People are very upset and I mean passionately upset. Can this bode well for the GOP's chances in November?
The writer is chairman of the Berks County Tea Party and state coordinator of the Tea Party Patriots.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season
- Not to be left behind, speedy Steelers are on the fast track in NFL
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Steelers have plenty of new faces at wide receiver
- WPIAL coaches, QBs have concerns about using newly-approved footballs
- Monroeville firefighters hope hot photo calendar will help raise money
- Reputed leader of motorcycle gang returned to Pa. to face charges
- Why Steelers will — or won’t — snap out of their funk
- Arizona Uzi shooting that accidentally killed instructor ‘just stupid’
- Penguins GM insists new coach Johnston was no afterthought
- Yukon kennel founder jailed for allegedly threatening workers