I was inspired by Scott Brown's sports story “Penn State coach O'Brien hopes players will stay with Nittany Lions” (July 25 and TribLIVE.com).
My son is an upcoming high school senior. Penn State was at the top of his list for college. Then the PSU scandal hit the news, followed by the devastating NCAA-imposed hardships/sanctions.
Many people have questioned him about why he would still want to go there. I borrowed Coach O'Brien's comments to his players when I encouraged him to hang in there with Penn State: “Life is filled with adversity and the way you travel through life is how you handle adversity, and that's how you're defined as a man. ... (T)urn the page and get on board with a new era of Penn State football. ... (C)ontinue (your) belief in this fantastic university. ... (R)emember the mission of Penn State, which, as it relates to football, is the value of a world-renowned education ... .”
I would be proud for my son to choose Penn State. There is something very good about hanging in there when times get tough. I will be on the edge of my seat, cheering Penn State football on to victory!
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh fans pay tribute to ‘Mockingjay Part 1’
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- The WPIAL’s Top 10 football champions of all time
- Review: ‘Mockingjay — Part 1’ a glum setup for ‘Hunger Games’ finale
- Carnegie Science Center adds legendary Buhl Planetarium to railroad village
- Child flown to Pittsburgh hospital after being struck by car in Beaver County
- Education program comes full circle at UPG
- First Draft: Leave the wine corked and serve beer for Thanksgiving
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- Fashion FYI: Designer Tory Burch turns into author
- Pittsburgh police are searching for 12-year-old girl