Published: Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 8:57 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
I was inspired by Scott Brown's sports story “Penn State coach O'Brien hopes players will stay with Nittany Lions” (July 25 and TribLIVE.com).
My son is an upcoming high school senior. Penn State was at the top of his list for college. Then the PSU scandal hit the news, followed by the devastating NCAA-imposed hardships/sanctions.
Many people have questioned him about why he would still want to go there. I borrowed Coach O'Brien's comments to his players when I encouraged him to hang in there with Penn State: “Life is filled with adversity and the way you travel through life is how you handle adversity, and that's how you're defined as a man. ... (T)urn the page and get on board with a new era of Penn State football. ... (C)ontinue (your) belief in this fantastic university. ... (R)emember the mission of Penn State, which, as it relates to football, is the value of a world-renowned education ... .”
I would be proud for my son to choose Penn State. There is something very good about hanging in there when times get tough. I will be on the edge of my seat, cheering Penn State football on to victory!
- Kovacevic: The smartest man in hockey
- Penguins far from satisfied after Game 2
- Penguins notebook: Malkin makes points run
- Behind Crosby’s hat trick, Penguins sneak past Senators
- Uniontown man killed in shooting
- Judge snookered by service dog claim
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- WVU students ignore street sign amnesty offer
- Woman fights barriers after brain injury
- Error in 9th allows Pirates to rally past Astros
- Grandparents providing more care for grandkids
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.