Published: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 9:17 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Writing at Forbes.com, James Taylor notes that Antarctic sea ice continues to set records — not for melting but for increasing. In fact, he says such sea ice “has been growing since satellites first began measuring the ice 33 years ago and the sea ice has been above the 33-year average throughout 2012.” Throw another log on the fire, honey, it's getting cold outside. ... From the University of California, Riverside, Department of We Have Nothing Better to Study: Commercially cooked hamburgers cause more air pollution than diesel trucks. Researcher Bill Welch says “an 18-wheeler ... would have to drive 143 miles on the freeway to put out the same mass of particulates as a single charbroiled hamburger patty.” As get outta townish as that sounds, UCR engineers say they're developing a way to better control the particulates. But will the burgers still get good mileage? ... Reports have it that cash-starved Portland, Ore., schools spent nearly $527,000 on a program that contends peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist and that rugged individualism, adherence to rigid time schedules and the belief that hard work leads to success are unsavory traits of the dominant white culture. Which makes us want to make a Jif and Smucker's run, buy a farm, feed the chickens and milk the cows on time and work every day until that day's chores are done. Does that make us “racists”?
- Ribbon, wristband solemn reminders for Penguins coach Bylsma
- Key acquisitions have Penguins primed for run to Stanley Cup
- Penguins GM Shero: ‘Whole idea’ was improvement during playoffs
- Robinson: Steelers rookie Wheaton could be impact receiver
- Veteran Clark envisions finishing career as a member of Steelers
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- Starkey: Pirates’ Huntington never looked so good
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- Locke, Pirates power past Brewers at Miller Park
- Parenting in a Nutshell: Choose child care wisely
- Rankin teen charged in 16-year-old girl’s shooting death
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.