Writing at Forbes.com, James Taylor notes that Antarctic sea ice continues to set records — not for melting but for increasing. In fact, he says such sea ice “has been growing since satellites first began measuring the ice 33 years ago and the sea ice has been above the 33-year average throughout 2012.” Throw another log on the fire, honey, it's getting cold outside. ... From the University of California, Riverside, Department of We Have Nothing Better to Study: Commercially cooked hamburgers cause more air pollution than diesel trucks. Researcher Bill Welch says “an 18-wheeler ... would have to drive 143 miles on the freeway to put out the same mass of particulates as a single charbroiled hamburger patty.” As get outta townish as that sounds, UCR engineers say they're developing a way to better control the particulates. But will the burgers still get good mileage? ... Reports have it that cash-starved Portland, Ore., schools spent nearly $527,000 on a program that contends peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist and that rugged individualism, adherence to rigid time schedules and the belief that hard work leads to success are unsavory traits of the dominant white culture. Which makes us want to make a Jif and Smucker's run, buy a farm, feed the chickens and milk the cows on time and work every day until that day's chores are done. Does that make us “racists”?
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: At start, are Pens already finished?
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- West Virginia cornerback Worley facing battery charges
- Identical twins born at West Penn Hospital a rare medical marvel
- Bicyclist injured in collision with construction vehicle
- City of Pittsburgh detective, 2 boys finalize adoption before judge
- Western Pennsylvania detailers refurbish original Air Force One
- Blairsville district judge placed on leave
- Police: Ambush suspect was military re-enactor
- Connellsville sets trick or treat
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw