Merge police departments
The discussion concerning the police departments of Cheswick, Harmar and Springdale is coming to a head.
Cheswick met recently about the possibility of contracting with other towns for police service or possibly merging departments. And, as always, the opposition was heard more than the people who are for it.
I'm speaking on behalf of those in favor of a merger.
It would be more cost-effective to combine departments. We're all small communities and in some ways, have already started to downsize. For example, Springdale is now a part of the Lower Valley Ambulance Service, and that is going just fine.
I know everyone wants their own police and fire department. But the fact is it no longer makes sense financially. It soon will not be worth the higher taxes we will pay to keep them.
Shawn Fitzgerald Jr.
Skedel a disgrace
What disgrace Councilman Jonathan Skedel has brought upon Cheswick Borough. Now is the time for the residents to demand his immediate resignation from council.
This loose canon has already fired his fists. What's next?
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State succumbs to No. 13 Ohio State in two overtimes
- Pitt notebook: Conner quietly surpasses 1,000 yards rushing
- Pittsburgh Mills mall stability questioned
- Springdale to get kayak launch, other riverfront improvements
- Butler County Historical Society acquires 1928 Austin C Cab Van
- Syrian border town emerges as pivot point in Islamic State fight
- CDC’s misinformation spreads faster than Ebola virus
- Pirates must weigh risk, reward in attempt to sign Martin
- Giants surge past Royals, even World Series
- Penguins’ Crosby OK with Neal comments about trade
- Starkey: Chryst missed his only shot