Merge police departments
Published: Monday, October 15, 2012, 1:01 a.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
The discussion concerning the police departments of Cheswick, Harmar and Springdale is coming to a head.
Cheswick met recently about the possibility of contracting with other towns for police service or possibly merging departments. And, as always, the opposition was heard more than the people who are for it.
I'm speaking on behalf of those in favor of a merger.
It would be more cost-effective to combine departments. We're all small communities and in some ways, have already started to downsize. For example, Springdale is now a part of the Lower Valley Ambulance Service, and that is going just fine.
I know everyone wants their own police and fire department. But the fact is it no longer makes sense financially. It soon will not be worth the higher taxes we will pay to keep them.
Shawn Fitzgerald Jr.
Skedel a disgrace
What disgrace Councilman Jonathan Skedel has brought upon Cheswick Borough. Now is the time for the residents to demand his immediate resignation from council.
This loose canon has already fired his fists. What's next?
- Kovacevic: Matt Cooke 1, Ottawa Senators 0
- Penguins rout Senators, return to Eastern Conference final
- Alfredsson ponders his future
- Letang dazzles with dynamic play in Game 5 win
- Marine restores pride of Memorial Day parade on streets of Lawrenceville
- Penguins notebook: Tickets for Eastern Conference final on sale today
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
- 16-year-old girl shot and killed on Rankin street
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- TreeVitalize beautifies hospital campus
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.