Merge police departments
The discussion concerning the police departments of Cheswick, Harmar and Springdale is coming to a head.
Cheswick met recently about the possibility of contracting with other towns for police service or possibly merging departments. And, as always, the opposition was heard more than the people who are for it.
I'm speaking on behalf of those in favor of a merger.
It would be more cost-effective to combine departments. We're all small communities and in some ways, have already started to downsize. For example, Springdale is now a part of the Lower Valley Ambulance Service, and that is going just fine.
I know everyone wants their own police and fire department. But the fact is it no longer makes sense financially. It soon will not be worth the higher taxes we will pay to keep them.
Shawn Fitzgerald Jr.
Skedel a disgrace
What disgrace Councilman Jonathan Skedel has brought upon Cheswick Borough. Now is the time for the residents to demand his immediate resignation from council.
This loose canon has already fired his fists. What's next?
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Power 5 conferences’ paying cost of attendance worries schools large and small
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- NFL notebook: Seahawks warned 15-yard penalty for Lynch obscene gesture
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- One killed in Washington Township crash
- IUP men, women remain among Division II basketball elite
- Ambridge native attemps to build college baseball coaching career at tiniest of outposts
- Fleury’s relay team struggles in NHL skills competition