Merge police departments
The discussion concerning the police departments of Cheswick, Harmar and Springdale is coming to a head.
Cheswick met recently about the possibility of contracting with other towns for police service or possibly merging departments. And, as always, the opposition was heard more than the people who are for it.
I'm speaking on behalf of those in favor of a merger.
It would be more cost-effective to combine departments. We're all small communities and in some ways, have already started to downsize. For example, Springdale is now a part of the Lower Valley Ambulance Service, and that is going just fine.
I know everyone wants their own police and fire department. But the fact is it no longer makes sense financially. It soon will not be worth the higher taxes we will pay to keep them.
Shawn Fitzgerald Jr.
Skedel a disgrace
What disgrace Councilman Jonathan Skedel has brought upon Cheswick Borough. Now is the time for the residents to demand his immediate resignation from council.
This loose canon has already fired his fists. What's next?
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: Shootouts becoming a concern
- Protesters demonstrate against Mt. Lebanon deer culling program
- Tyler’s 20th, ‘A Spool of Blue Thread,’ is a miracle of sorts
- Dark satire ‘Welcome to Braggsville’ targets race, gender
- Allderdice boys advance to PIAA tournament
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Men become focus of stores’ personal service efforts
- Huge, ancient quasar could alter theories on black holes
- Blackhawk girls take down South Fayette to repeat as WPIAL Class AAA champs
- Pittsburgh man dies in Greene County accident
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play