Greensburg Tuesday takes
Science experiment gone wrong: Seriously burned when an experiment he was performing exploded, a Derry Area High School chemistry teacher first responded to ensure the safety of his students. That's commendable. But Brian Clawson, an experienced instructor, should have been wearing protective gear. Safety must be the foremost concern. And given the volatility of this chemical reaction, should such experiments be conducted in high school science labs?
Doing something right: North Huntingdon commissioners have an enviable problem. From a proposed $14 million 2013 budget, they hope to not only cut property taxes by 1 mill but also pay down debt and provide for more road paving. This, in a township that hasn't raised property taxes in years. Most locales are content simply to end the year in the black and continue the status quo. North Huntingdon's fiscal flexibility underscores commissioners' commitment to taxpayers and a careful eye on the township's bottom line.
Where's the meter money?: Latrobe's whiz-bang pay-by-phone parking system isn't the hit with the public that officials anticipated. Since June, the system has collected only $1,000 (the city keeps 83 cents of every dollar generated). Convenient? Yes, but it's still a fee. Apparently most folks tend to be “old-fashioned” when nickeled and dimed for parking.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Nothing normal about Steelers’ standard as backups fill vital roles
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Penguins notebook: Farnham relishes making opening-night roster
- Power plants challenged by carbon capture and storage
- Pittsburgh Police Department to expand use of body cameras for officers
- Energy efficiency goes mainstream with help of regulations, consumer demand
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC’s 125th anniversary bash raises stunning $11.9 million
- Pittsburgh’s bike sharing service starts off healthy
- Manor festival will help animal shelters, rescues
- Penguins’ prospects could hinge on health of Letang, Maataa