Alle-Kiski Tuesday Takes
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Monday, Oct. 29, 2012, 9:00 p.m.
Tarentum Bridge falcons: We're pleased a pair of nesting peregrine falcons have taken up residence in the Tarentum Bridge's superstructure. They're gorgeous to see and reduce Tarentum's pigeon population. But the pair's presence probably will delay repaving the bridge in the spring until the end of nesting season. We have to admit, we were looking forward to that paving to be done.
Questioning TIFs: The failures of several high-profile, tax-increment-financed private projects in Allegheny County have prompted some to say that TIFs, as they are known, might not be the proper public financing vehicle, especially when other government (i.e., taxpayer) sources are available. Hold the phone! Such failures should be a giant red flag that private projects that can't get off the drawing board without going on the taxpayer dole should not be built. Period.
Were you ready?: This week's rain, wind and, in some cases, snow delivered courtesy of Hurricane Sandy should serve as an important reminder that it's wise to have emergency provisions put up. Good for you if you were prepared. If you weren't, you might be learning the lesson the hard way. For those who did prepare, we have one request: Please check on neighbors, especially the elderly, who might not have been able to properly prepare.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- Kovacevic: Still waiting on Malkin, Crosby
- Rossi: Lack of together time showing for Penguins’ defense
- Fleury a bright spot among struggling Penguins in playoffs
- Change in kidney allocation rules should help patients
- Talent on ice, effort off it help franchise grow hockey in Columbus
- Mailings from Pa. incumbents to potential new constituents under fire
- Pastors offer help in days following Franklin Regional stabbings
- Gov. Corbett’s re-election campaign ‘unflappable’ amid challenges, criticism
- Murrysville woman shares her many tales as a professional storyteller
- Blue Jackets, city relish first playoff victory