Greensburg Laurels & Lances
Published: Thursday, November 1, 2012, 9:03 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
On the “Watch List”: Excela Health's medical “malls.” The local health care system has announced plans to open new medical centers in Hempfield, Unity and Ligonier to improve patient care and consolidate facilities. Chief Operating Officer Michael Busch says these “investments” will “pay for themselves.” That's an optimistic outlook at a time when people are increasingly concerned about their rising health care costs.
Lance: To promises, promises. Not all streets torn up through Greensburg because of utility work will be repaved this fall, as the utilities had assured city officials. Now we're told PennDOT won't get around to paving sections of East Otterman and East Pittsburgh streets until spring. Yes, the city has no sway over state roads. But it certainly could be more vocal about the intolerable patchwork that motorists have endured on many city roads.
Laurel: To saving Halloween for the children. The remnants of Sandy didn't rain out trick-or-treating in many Westmoreland communities, which changed their scheduled hours from waterlogged Wednesday to a sunnier Saturday. Of course, that tempting stash of candy now has to last until tomorrow night.
Laurel: To a flood of assistance. In preparations for Sandy, most residents in Ligonier and Latrobe expected the lights to go out, not floodwaters to come rushing in from creeks that breached their banks. Here's to the volunteer firefighters and other good folks who helped flooded residents dry out.
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Bethel Park offensive lineman Grimm picks Pitt
- Penguins notebook: Pens talking with Dupuis’ reps
- Pirates notebook: Beanballs escalate tension against Reds
- Huge sinkhole in West View detours Route 19 traffic
- Pens’ Shero talks with Letang’s agent
- Judge: Murrysville man deserves jail time for collecting child porn, threatening postal inspector
- Pitt gets commits from QB, local RB
- Pitt adds defensive recruit from Philadelphia
- Firefighters quickly extinguish Downtown restaurant fire, no one hurt
- Pirates announce signing of first-round pick McGuire
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.