Greensburg Laurels & Lances
On the “Watch List”: Excela Health's medical “malls.” The local health care system has announced plans to open new medical centers in Hempfield, Unity and Ligonier to improve patient care and consolidate facilities. Chief Operating Officer Michael Busch says these “investments” will “pay for themselves.” That's an optimistic outlook at a time when people are increasingly concerned about their rising health care costs.
Lance: To promises, promises. Not all streets torn up through Greensburg because of utility work will be repaved this fall, as the utilities had assured city officials. Now we're told PennDOT won't get around to paving sections of East Otterman and East Pittsburgh streets until spring. Yes, the city has no sway over state roads. But it certainly could be more vocal about the intolerable patchwork that motorists have endured on many city roads.
Laurel: To saving Halloween for the children. The remnants of Sandy didn't rain out trick-or-treating in many Westmoreland communities, which changed their scheduled hours from waterlogged Wednesday to a sunnier Saturday. Of course, that tempting stash of candy now has to last until tomorrow night.
Laurel: To a flood of assistance. In preparations for Sandy, most residents in Ligonier and Latrobe expected the lights to go out, not floodwaters to come rushing in from creeks that breached their banks. Here's to the volunteer firefighters and other good folks who helped flooded residents dry out.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Fights reported, shots fired outside Monroeville Mall restaurant
- Reagan shooter Hinckley closer to permanent freedom
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Defense shines in Pitt football spring game
- Car dealerships turn advertising, sales focus to women
- Road Trip! Destination: The Greenbrier
- Frye: Figuring out deer dilemma
- Westmoreland community leaders discuss how to meet hunger needs
- History Center looks at Pittsburgh’s role in WWII
- U.S. Steel’s reality is small, like planned HQ
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015