Veterans Day 2012: Meet the challenge
Editor's note: On this Veterans Day, a reprint of a classic Trib editorial.
Today should remind all Americans that we owe a debt too profound for mere dollars to repay — our debt of gratitude for the sacrifices made by those in our nation's military.
We certainly owe our veterans sustained focus on their needs, not just the one-day spotlight that shines on the Nov. 11 speeches, ceremonies and parades they so richly deserve.
Thus, Veterans Day challenges us all to take action that translates solemn rhetoric about America's sacred obligations to all who wear its uniform into something more than just words.
Whatever form that action takes, it must be inspired by humble thankfulness for our veterans' astonishing courage and selflessness.
We must tell them how grateful we are to them, volunteer time and give money to help them, ensure the best possible care for our wounded warriors, comfort those whose loved ones made the ultimate sacrifice and reach out to those serving now — the veterans of tomorrow.
Our veterans exemplify what's best about America. So, too, must our caring and concern for them. It is the only currency with which we can repay that debt of gratitude owed to all who've put their lives on the line for our sake — and the sake of our nation.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Starkey: Penguins’ season impressive so far
- Penguins a love affair for Evancho sisters
- Pitt football team working to fatten up QB sack total on defense
- Hornqvist’s net-front presence with Penguins could be valuable asset
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health
- Police investigate pair of fatal rush hour incidents in Shaler, Marshall
- Pa. court upholds prosecutor appointed to investigate leaks from AG’s office
- Latrobe ear-biting suspect loses bid for reduced bail
- Request for documents delays Speedway hearing in Unity
- Pittsburgh Police charge Allentown couple with abusing pit bull puppy