Veterans Day 2012: Meet the challenge
Published: Saturday, November 10, 2012, 8:48 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Editor's note: On this Veterans Day, a reprint of a classic Trib editorial.
Today should remind all Americans that we owe a debt too profound for mere dollars to repay — our debt of gratitude for the sacrifices made by those in our nation's military.
We certainly owe our veterans sustained focus on their needs, not just the one-day spotlight that shines on the Nov. 11 speeches, ceremonies and parades they so richly deserve.
Thus, Veterans Day challenges us all to take action that translates solemn rhetoric about America's sacred obligations to all who wear its uniform into something more than just words.
Whatever form that action takes, it must be inspired by humble thankfulness for our veterans' astonishing courage and selflessness.
We must tell them how grateful we are to them, volunteer time and give money to help them, ensure the best possible care for our wounded warriors, comfort those whose loved ones made the ultimate sacrifice and reach out to those serving now — the veterans of tomorrow.
Our veterans exemplify what's best about America. So, too, must our caring and concern for them. It is the only currency with which we can repay that debt of gratitude owed to all who've put their lives on the line for our sake — and the sake of our nation.
- Kovacevic: Do Senators have anything left?
- Steelers might be looking at a youth movement in 2013
- Penguins’ Dupuis earns teammates’ respect with consistent play
- Rossi: Late-game moves pay off
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched for soreness in right knee
- Trib poll: Peduto pulling ahead in Pittsburgh mayor’s race
- Motorcyclist dies after crash in Latrobe
- Militaries’ growing use of ground robots raises ethics concerns
- Gulf Tower ‘turns’ red over Pens goals
- Trib reporter’s Iraq stories win top Pa. press award
- Sewickley man dies in overnight motorcycle accident
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.