Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
Laurel: To Rich Fitzgerald. Allegheny County's chief executive says he'll intervene to give businesses more leeway in how and where pollution risks from their operations are measured. That's in response to new, stricter pollution controls adopted by county health officials this week. We're glad to see that the ACE understands there's a fine balance between protecting public health and forcing businesses to commit suicide to do so.
Lance: To William Isler. Pittsburgh Public Schools is failing. Despite a standards-weak college scholarship program (bribery) and astronomical per-pupil spending, its enrollment is tanking. Parents are sending their kids to better private, parochial and charter schools. The district will be broke by 2015. And as a “solution,” this school board member suggests that the county's school districts be consolidated. Which is “The Pittsburgh Way” — fix failure on a grand scale with failure on a monumental scale.
On the “Watch List”: Carnegie Mellon University. Former CMU trustee Marco Antonio Delgado has been charged by federal authorities with conspiring to launder more than half-a-billion dollars for a Mexican drug cartel. In 2003, Mr. Delgado endowed a fellowship in public policy and management for Hispanic graduate students with a $250,000 gift. Was any of the allegedly laundered money, or any proceeds from alleged drug deals, used to establish that chair?
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Ohio offensive lineman verbally commits to Pitt
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office