Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
Laurel: To Rich Fitzgerald. Allegheny County's chief executive says he'll intervene to give businesses more leeway in how and where pollution risks from their operations are measured. That's in response to new, stricter pollution controls adopted by county health officials this week. We're glad to see that the ACE understands there's a fine balance between protecting public health and forcing businesses to commit suicide to do so.
Lance: To William Isler. Pittsburgh Public Schools is failing. Despite a standards-weak college scholarship program (bribery) and astronomical per-pupil spending, its enrollment is tanking. Parents are sending their kids to better private, parochial and charter schools. The district will be broke by 2015. And as a “solution,” this school board member suggests that the county's school districts be consolidated. Which is “The Pittsburgh Way” — fix failure on a grand scale with failure on a monumental scale.
On the “Watch List”: Carnegie Mellon University. Former CMU trustee Marco Antonio Delgado has been charged by federal authorities with conspiring to launder more than half-a-billion dollars for a Mexican drug cartel. In 2003, Mr. Delgado endowed a fellowship in public policy and management for Hispanic graduate students with a $250,000 gift. Was any of the allegedly laundered money, or any proceeds from alleged drug deals, used to establish that chair?
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- Highmark lays off nearly 100 workers, mostly in IT, as membership declines
- Podiatrist, 6 others charged in prescription painkiller scheme
- At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi
- Trade for Winnik gives Penguins competition among bottom six
- Legislation would broaden crimes for which public officials forfeit state pensions
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Munhall man to serve 20 to 50 years in prison for killing his mother
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Charleroi man accused of improper sexual contact with teen
- Leonard Nimoy, world famous as Mr. Spock on ‘Star Trek’, dies