Greensburg Laurels & Lances
Published: Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012, 8:53 p.m.
On the “Watch List”: Excela Health's planned outpatient medical mall in Unity. Township planners have raised questions about the proposed building's access in an area off Route 30 that's already congested with businesses. There's also talk of wielding the cudgel of eminent domain to connect the proposed medical site with a shopping plaza. This sounds like the proverbial square peg in a round hole.
Laurel: To Catherine Fike. The Southmoreland school director did her homework and pulled no punches at a recent school board meeting: Long term, the district could face bankruptcy if business as usual remains unchanged, she said. That's not a far-fetched conclusion when Southmoreland, along with most other districts, typically sees expenses outpacing revenues. And the employee pension pinch? Heed the warning.
Laurel: To man's best friend. Incessant prodding by Ram, a black Lab, alerted a hearing-impaired man of a fast-moving fire that within minutes engulfed Valley Billiards in Salem Township. Owner Burley Hartin credits Ram for saving his son's life. That's the remarkable bond that distinguishes a companion animal from a “pet.”
Laurel: To promoting employee wellness. Excela Health reports that its own program of preventive screenings and regular checkups saved the local health system more than $1 million in insurance claims for about 5,000 employees last year. To paraphrase Ben Franklin, an ounce of prevention, given today's health care costs, beats a financial pounding for a cure.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates make inquiry into former Cy Young winner Johan Santana
- Bridgeville man announces candidacy for State Representative
- McCutchen proposes to girlfriend on DeGeneres show
- Water line break closes Mt. Lebanon High School for Thursday
- Carnegie Mellon gets $10 million endowment to renovate and expand Hamburg Hall
- Police: Driver fell unconscious before Seton Hill bus crash
- Starkey: NHL stuck in stone age
- Pittsburgh grand jury indicts Florida man for investment fraud
- Steelers defense’s rapid decline looks similar to that of Steel Curtain’s
- Jeannette man accused in assault with tire iron
- PNC plans to do away with tellers