Greensburg Laurels & Lances
On the “Watch List”: Excela Health's planned outpatient medical mall in Unity. Township planners have raised questions about the proposed building's access in an area off Route 30 that's already congested with businesses. There's also talk of wielding the cudgel of eminent domain to connect the proposed medical site with a shopping plaza. This sounds like the proverbial square peg in a round hole.
Laurel: To Catherine Fike. The Southmoreland school director did her homework and pulled no punches at a recent school board meeting: Long term, the district could face bankruptcy if business as usual remains unchanged, she said. That's not a far-fetched conclusion when Southmoreland, along with most other districts, typically sees expenses outpacing revenues. And the employee pension pinch? Heed the warning.
Laurel: To man's best friend. Incessant prodding by Ram, a black Lab, alerted a hearing-impaired man of a fast-moving fire that within minutes engulfed Valley Billiards in Salem Township. Owner Burley Hartin credits Ram for saving his son's life. That's the remarkable bond that distinguishes a companion animal from a “pet.”
Laurel: To promoting employee wellness. Excela Health reports that its own program of preventive screenings and regular checkups saved the local health system more than $1 million in insurance claims for about 5,000 employees last year. To paraphrase Ben Franklin, an ounce of prevention, given today's health care costs, beats a financial pounding for a cure.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Paving, electronics upgrades evident at Steel Valley
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Timing drives former KHL star Plotnikov
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Gorman: An ‘honor’ to follow a legend
- Historic WWII-era landing ship tank docking at Heinz Field
- ATI picket injured at Harrison mill
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Cops nab 4 in Monessen drug hangout