Greensburg Tuesday takes
A redder Westmoreland: The days when voting in Westmoreland County meant simply pulling the old Democratic Party lever are over, as evidenced by last week's Republican romp. GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney claimed more than 60 percent of the county's vote while Democrat Barack Obama won in only seven municipalities. As well, all four of the county's incumbent Republican state lawmakers breezed to re-election. Like the antiquated voting-machine lever, the Democratic Party draw — locally, at least — just isn't what it used to be.
Prison protocol?: An investigation into rumors of sexual liaisons involving two Westmoreland County Prison inmates have led to sexual assault charges against former corrections officer Melissa Ann Boggs, 43, and Belinda Lee Sapanara, 38, an ex-nurse practitioner. The prison's zero-tolerance policy is clear. What isn't clear is how such intimate fraternizing occurred in the first place — and what's being done to prevent future interludes.
A closed book?: Unity residents have rejected a 0.25-mill property tax (totaling about $71,000) dedicated to library services and a bookmobile, provided by Adams Memorial Library in Latrobe. And supervisors say they won't vote to provide township funding (currently $50,000). At issue all along has been what Unity gets for its significant contribution. Instead of referendums and ultimatums, is it not worthwhile for supervisors and the library board to sit down together and discuss what would be fair, service-wise, and at what price?
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pederson had to go at Pitt
- Pederson’s 2nd tenure as the athletic director at Pitt comes to abrupt end
- Chryst returns home, named football coach at Wisconsin
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Demolition project at Oliver’s Pourhouse in Greensburg moves forward
- Generous Leechburg boy receives Christmas surprise from secret Santa
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Philly DA says no affidavits claimed by AG Kane in bribery case existed
- Toast of the Town: Explore Lawrenceville’s many watering holes
- Home of LeNature’s exec up for sale