Be grateful for families
The very first Thanksgiving, we are told as early as elementary school, was a communal event.
A celebration of the harvest, it brought newcomers and Native Americans together.
On Thursday we will celebrate Thanksgiving 2012. What does the Fay-West community have to celebrate in a communal sense this coming Thursday?
We love our family and friends. But sometimes it seems there is little hope in the community, nation or world — beyond our doors. The economy is still slow, there are still few signs of jobs and in the news every day are the signs of wars, conflicts and terrorist activity.
But family is what we need to be most thankful about. It is the family unit that offers our best hope.
Our families are the backbone of life here in the Fay-West region.
Families make the time for Dad or Mom to be coaches, to be involved in Scouting or PTOs. Families support their volunteer firemen, who may have to leave a family event to help another in need.
Law enforcement officials have families that provide them with support. Families work with crime watch programs that help law enforcement officers as the eyes and ears of our communities.
Elected officials rely on their families for help with campaigns or to assist in developing courses of action for the officeholder.
Families can't solve the world problems — but everything needs to start at home.
So, on Thursday, let's think about the benefits of being part of a family — small or large.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Real estate union: Howard Hanna buys Langholz Wilson Ellis
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Westmoreland County furloughs weights and measurements director