Be grateful for families
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, Nov. 16, 2012, 8:56 p.m.
The very first Thanksgiving, we are told as early as elementary school, was a communal event.
A celebration of the harvest, it brought newcomers and Native Americans together.
On Thursday we will celebrate Thanksgiving 2012. What does the Fay-West community have to celebrate in a communal sense this coming Thursday?
We love our family and friends. But sometimes it seems there is little hope in the community, nation or world — beyond our doors. The economy is still slow, there are still few signs of jobs and in the news every day are the signs of wars, conflicts and terrorist activity.
But family is what we need to be most thankful about. It is the family unit that offers our best hope.
Our families are the backbone of life here in the Fay-West region.
Families make the time for Dad or Mom to be coaches, to be involved in Scouting or PTOs. Families support their volunteer firemen, who may have to leave a family event to help another in need.
Law enforcement officials have families that provide them with support. Families work with crime watch programs that help law enforcement officers as the eyes and ears of our communities.
Elected officials rely on their families for help with campaigns or to assist in developing courses of action for the officeholder.
Families can't solve the world problems — but everything needs to start at home.
So, on Thursday, let's think about the benefits of being part of a family — small or large.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- ACC announces Pitt’s opponents for next 2 seasons; Powell signs with Dukes
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Pennsylvania Gov. Corbett wants candidate Wolf to release tax records
- Steelers pick up defensive end Heyward’s option for 2015 season
- Penguins notebook: Gibbons skates, status for Game 4 still unclear