Higher taxes? Do the math
I've been reading — utterly perplexed — some of your letters. “My freedom of speech is being taken away,” yet the woman said it. For the last four years, I have heard President Obama is taking away their guns, yet they still have them.
I have to listen to people tell me what the president is now doing. I never knew so many local people worked for the government and had such high security clearances that they know exactly what is going on in highest levels of our government.
When I complained about President G.W. Bush, I was told that I didn't have to like him, but I needed to respect him because he was the president. These same people now spew such hatred for Obama. These supposed good Christians are so venomous, I wonder what Christian beliefs they follow.
How did everyone forget that G.W. left this country in financial distress because of the wars he put on credit cards? They blame our president for not turning around the country in four years with zero cooperation from Congress.
Now the battle is raising taxes on those earning $250,000 or more. They may be paying an additional $6,000 a year. Do I feel bad for them? Not on your life.
They are making approximately $4,808 per week. In 2012, they paid 4.2 percent toward Social Security, but that tax ended when they reached $110,000 — 23 weeks. So starting the 24th week, they got a weekly “raise” from the government of $202. Multiply $202 times 29 weeks and that's $5,858. In reality, their tax bill would increase by $142.
As Joe Friday said on “Dragnet”: “Just the facts, ma'am.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Mon Valley called ‘ground zero’ for blight
- Steel Valley area youth attend water camp
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Aliquippa father is charged by Beaver County DA in girls’ dresser death
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- 2014 has been among deadliest for the world’s airline industry
- Shuey burger star of ‘bashes’
- Amazon.com distribution center planned for Pittsburgh’s West End