Pittsburgh Tuesday takes
Reassessment roller coaster: A party-line vote by Allegheny County Council Democrats raised property taxes by 21 percent last December. Now, the county proposes lowering that levy by 17 percent to comply with state law limiting reassessment revenue windfalls to 5 percent. To taxpayers, it must seem that those Democrats took advantage of them via a temporary windfall that state law doesn't prohibit.
Super scholar: There are lessons aplenty in the story of Wexford's Dakota “Cody” McCoy, 22, a Yale University senior who's one of 32 American students and 80 worldwide receiving the latest round of Rhodes Scholarships. The former National Aviary intern, who'll use the award to pursue a master's degree in zoology, says her parents devoted time each day to teaching her reading and math. And she's a well-rounded young woman, too, competing in track and field, singing in a choral group, binding books by hand and publishing three peer-reviewed research papers. Congratulations, Ms. McCoy.
Rougher road: The Steelers' defense played well, the offense — minus injured Ben Roethlisberger — not so much against the Ravens in Sunday night's 13-10 loss. That leaves Pittsburgh two full games behind Baltimore in the AFC North and a wild-card berth its far more likely path to the postseason than winning the division. Needing wins, the Steelers need to avoid looking past their next game, at Cleveland, to their rematch with the Ravens in Baltimore on Dec. 2.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins add adviser PJT Partners to assist in potential sale
- Penn State goaltender Skoff gets chance to impress the Penguins
- Storm causes scattered power outages in central Westmoreland County
- 1,500 lose power in Alle-Kiski Valley
- Weather puts county emergency operations into ‘storm mode’
- West Virginia defense looks to reach higher level of play this year
- Pirates notebook: Kang settling in to comfort zone
- Judge sentences Arnold man already serving time to prison on federal charges
- Violent domestic dispute prompts evacuation of Spring Hill neighbors
- Suspended Maryland wide receiver eyeing Pitt
- District 31 Legion roundup: Latrobe rallies in 7th to defeat rival Unity