Alle-Kiski Tuesday takes
Kittanning water woes: We'll probably never really know why Kittanning residents couldn't use their water last week. Pennsylvania American Water — a private company — said vaguely an equipment malfunction put too much caustic soda into the water. That might be true, but we know human beings are supposed to be monitoring what the equipment is doing. And for that much chemical to enter the water ... let's just say someone wasn't paying attention for a long time.
Reassessment roller coaster: A party-line vote by Allegheny County Council Democrats raised property taxes by 21 percent last December. Now, the county proposes lowering that levy by 17 percent to comply with state law limiting reassessment revenue windfalls to 5 percent. To taxpayers, it must seem that those Democrats took advantage of them via a temporary windfall that state law doesn't prohibit.
Rougher road: The Steelers' defense played well, the offense — minus injured Ben Roethlisberger — not so much against the Ravens in Sunday night's 13-10 loss. That leaves Pittsburgh two full games behind Baltimore in the AFC North and a wild-card berth its far more likely path to the postseason than winning the division. Needing wins, the Steelers need to avoid looking past their next game, at Cleveland, to their rematch with the Ravens in Baltimore on Dec. 2.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Ferrante defense says arrest of prosecutor’s boyfriend could affect case
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- DNA evidence in alleged June 2013 rape leads to Latrobe man’s arrest