Despite the many controversies that dog Attorney General Eric Holder — among them, the Fast and Furious gun-running escapades and a pass for the New Black Panthers in a high-profile voter-intimidation case — he'll remain in office for another year, Fox News reports. Oh, that should be time enough for another Holder-enabled Justice Department scandal. ... President Obama's trip to Asia last week was not without incident, as The Associated Press reports. No, he didn't bow to anyone — this time. But he repeatedly mispronounced the name of Aung San Suu Kyi (pronounced “Ahng Sahn Soo Chee”), the Nobel laureate who's regarded as one of the world's most prominent human rights activists. Mr. Obama called her “Aung YAN Suu Kyi.” Ah, the voice of experience. ... And from the august halls of academia comes a report that Fordham University effectively barred conservative columnist Ann Coulter from speaking on campus but welcomed Princeton bioethics professor Peter Singer, who “has long lamented the societal stigma against having sex with animals,” The Daily Caller reports. In Fordham's defense, Georgetown University Jesuit and senior government professor James Schall says the church isn't afraid of any idea — so long as it has a fair chance to explain its own position. Evidently Ms. Coulter's conservatism must be pretty scary stuff for those deep-thinking Jesuits at Fordham.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi
- Undercover officers seize more than 2 dozen guns from Oakdale man
- Two charged with selling heroin that killed Lower Burrell woman
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- Uniontown podiatrist, 6 others charged in prescription painkiller scheme
- Highmark lays off nearly 100 workers, mostly in IT, as membership declines
- U.S. economic growth revised downward to 2.2%
- Earl Lloyd, 1st black player in NBA, dies at 86
- Why would GOP candidate for Missouri governor Schweich kill himself?
- AG Kane’s spokesman leaving after 2 months on the job