Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
Laurel: To Rich Fitzgerald. The Allegheny County chief executive is taking heat from some quarters for a perfectly legal no-bid contract to a local contracting firm. But the $156,000 deal with Michael Baker Corp., which will use the expertise of employee and former county Public Works boss Tom Donatelli to assess the troubled department, sounds like a prudent move to us.
Lance: To the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium. A goodly number of its 2013 picture calendars — with March featuring the same kind of African painted dogs that killed a toddler who fell into the exhibit this month — were sent out before the tragedy. But the zoo continued to send them out, without even a note of explanation to patrons, after the tragedy. And that, supposedly, after much internal discussion. How sad.
On the “Watch List”: Arnold's fiscal crisis. The city wants a 25 percent tax hike to balance the books and officials worry even that won't be enough despite being coupled with spending cuts. The city isn't eligible for Act 47 relief as a distressed community. We can only hope it never is.
Steelers woes: Coach Mike Tomlin should make those who coughed up the football a total of five times Sunday tote a pigskin 24/7 right up to this Sunday's 4:15 p.m. kickoff in Baltimore. Perhaps these pros can learn something from this old trick — of high school football coaches.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Moore hopes to see red (zone) in Steelers debut
- Beaver footprints found along Allegheny River bank, not gator
- Steelers notebook: Ravens DL fined for hit on Roethlisberger
- City’s plan for Strip flummoxes vendors
- Finally healthy, Letang looking to make his presence felt as a leader
- Inside the glass: Johnston’s opening practice grueling
- Sears to close store at Century III Mall in West Mifflin
- Local groups hope NFL lends support
- Predictions are for lots of brilliant color this autumn
- Police, bloodhound team locate former athletic director, Greensburg official