Obama & the Palestinians: Penalty time
Published: Tuesday, December 4, 2012, 8:52 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Now that the United Nations has overwhelmingly voted to upgrade the Palestinian Authority from “observer” status to a “nonmember state observer,” nose-thumbing U.S. objections, President Obama must follow through on the penalties for this ill-advised move.
Not that the U.N. vote, 138-9 with 41 abstentions, changes any perceptions within Turtle Bay. About 130 U.N. members already regarded “Palestine” as a state, notes U.N. watchdog Brett Schaefer of The Heritage Foundation.
And never mind that the Palestinians' push for unilateral statehood “violates all existing internationally agreed frameworks for negotiating a peace between Israel and the Palestinians,” Mr. Schaefer says.
What the change in U.N. status allows is for the Palestinians to use a bigger club with which to beat Israel — for example, through membership in U.N. specialized agencies.
But U.S. law prohibits funding of U.N. agencies that allow membership to Palestinians as a “state,” which the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) learned last year. That is, if the Obama administration enforces that law.
The administration also made it clear last summer that the Palestinian Authority risked losing U.S. assistance if it proceeded in its reckless course toward statehood.
In effect, the Palestinians' United Nations triumph now forces the administration's hand. We'll soon know if Team Obama is as weak and ineffectual as most think.
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen’s strikeout rate plunging
- Pitt stays alive in Big East baseball tournament with 12-inning win over Seton Hall
- Chartiers Valley’s Coyne enjoys pre-prom celebration at PIAA meet
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- MLB notebook: Royals staffer revives fan, 14, after collapse
- 3 survive plunge off Washington bridge
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Broadwell says she has moved on from scandal
- As nation’s hot spot for disasters, Oklahoma knows how to pull in federal aid
- Former Bethel Park PTO president charged in theft from organization
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
This is the perfect opportunity for the President to NOT enforce that law, as it has done, selectively.: Doma is but one example. The administration's clear objective is: Crush Israel. What effect, if any, comes from Rev. Wright's anti-semite views? Unleashing the 'Arab Spring' is paying dividends as Morsi's imperial, pro-Sharia rule reveals. If the Muslim Brotherhood prevails,will Egypt's next step be to renounce their treaty with Israel?