No respect for veep
To put it in terms the late comedian Rodney Dangerfield would have used, Vice President Joe Biden can't get no respect.
Fear of weather-related problems caused by Hurricane Isaac prompted Biden to cancel his scheduled trip to Tampa during last week's Republican National Convention. But that didn't stop a Hooters in nearby Clearwater, Fla., from mocking the veep on a sign outside the restaurant that read: “Hey Joe, Welcome to North Carolina.”
The sign referenced yet another gaffe Biden recently made when he told a Virginia campaign-stop crowd that he was in North Carolina.
There's more. One of the Navy SEALs who helped kill Osama bin Laden isn't kind to Biden in a book due out on Tuesday.
In “No Easy Day,” former SEAL Matt Bissonnette — writing under the pseudonym Matt Owen — describes a meeting the SEALs had with the veep and President Obama following the raid that killed the notorious terrorist.
Bissonnette writes that Biden told “lame jokes” that no one understood and reminded him of “someone's drunken uncle at Christmas dinner.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- Allegheny judge Woodruff, ex-Steelers corner, to run for Pa. Supreme Court
- 4 injured when vehicles collide, car plows into North Huntingdon auto body shop
- Clues to Chief Justice John Roberts’ thinking on new ObamaCare case
- Pirates trade Davis to A’s for international signing bonus money
- NFL parity makes playoff chase a multi-team muddle
- Starkey: No explaining Steelers, AFC North
- Pittsburgh City Council to vote on property tax increase
- Police investigating fire at South Side self storage units
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- High winds, temperatures expected Monday in Western Pennsylvania