No respect for veep
To put it in terms the late comedian Rodney Dangerfield would have used, Vice President Joe Biden can't get no respect.
Fear of weather-related problems caused by Hurricane Isaac prompted Biden to cancel his scheduled trip to Tampa during last week's Republican National Convention. But that didn't stop a Hooters in nearby Clearwater, Fla., from mocking the veep on a sign outside the restaurant that read: “Hey Joe, Welcome to North Carolina.”
The sign referenced yet another gaffe Biden recently made when he told a Virginia campaign-stop crowd that he was in North Carolina.
There's more. One of the Navy SEALs who helped kill Osama bin Laden isn't kind to Biden in a book due out on Tuesday.
In “No Easy Day,” former SEAL Matt Bissonnette — writing under the pseudonym Matt Owen — describes a meeting the SEALs had with the veep and President Obama following the raid that killed the notorious terrorist.
Bissonnette writes that Biden told “lame jokes” that no one understood and reminded him of “someone's drunken uncle at Christmas dinner.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville loses pillar of Catholic community
- Auto sales heat up in July on steep discounts
- Hyundai recalls over 419K vehicles
- Steelers notebook: Team extends Suisham’s contract through 2018
- Pirates notebook: Cole scratched from rehab start at Indianapolis
- Auto review: Grand Cherokee goes the distance
- Pirates storm back with late rally to defeat Diamondbacks, 9-4
- Rise in pickup truck sales a good sign for economy
- HP to pay $32.5M to settle Postal Service dispute
- SEC closes probe of Citi mortgage bonds
- Liberian families in Western Pa. fret over Ebola virus outbreak