The immigration issue
Published: Sunday, November 4, 2012, 8:52 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
A hidden factor in continuing high unemployment — unaddressed in the race for the White House — is that immigrants have fared better than native-born Americans under the Obama administration.
A new Center for Immigration Studies ( cis.org) analysis of government data finds two-thirds of the net employment increase since Barack Obama became president has gone to immigrants, mainly legal ones — 1.94 million jobs versus 938,000 for the native-born.
Total immigration is down in recent years, but the United States still admits about 1 million permanent immigrants and several hundred thousand guest workers annually, CIS points out.
Neither the Obama administration nor Congress has acted to modify those levels during an extraordinarily challenging period for native-born workers. In fact, this White House has advantaged immigrants by:
• Offering work authorization to an estimated 2 million illegals who arrived before age 16
• Not detaining illegals detected through employer audits, enabling them to pursue other jobs
• And urging the Supreme Court in 2010 to overturn Arizona's law requiring employers to verify new hires' legal status.
The Obama administration thus has heightened native-born workers' recessionary pain. Immigrants' gains at their expense should have been a campaign issue — and must be an Election Day issue for voters.
- Iran’s president-elect is an odd ‘moderate’
- The Veterans Affairs/Legionella mess: It grows & grows ...
- The other Islamist threat: Looting history
- Fisher v. Texas: End racial preferences
- Pittsburgh Tuesday takes
- Greensburg Tuesday takes
- The Box
- Obama’s transparency: It’s a mirage
- A stagnant ‘pool’
- Stop! Thief! State legislators feed twice at the taxpayer trough
- Alle-Kiski Tuesday takes
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Thank you TRIB LIVE for bringing this issue to the fore front.Barack Obama has turned his back on the people who he is suppose to represent.Off hand I don't know what the unemployment rate is in this part of the country, but I would venture to guess that is higher than average.Anyone who is reading this more than likely has a family member or friend that is unemployed, while over 60% of jobs that have been created since obama was elected have gone to immigrants .How about we concentrate on putting U.S. citizens to work first.Obama must go we must elect someone who will put Americans back to work.