Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012, 9:01 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Lance: To Arnold's government. There is no more financially dysfunctional municipality in the Alle-Kiski Valley than Arnold. That's because previous administrations played games like the $800-per-year garbage and sewage fee, which was inherently unfair, ridiculously high and nothing more than a hidden tax. Now, the city is in the dumper — facing a 25 percent tax increase, layoffs and the need of a $1 million loan. It's time the borough investigate filing bankruptcy and/or obtaining state help via Act 47, the Municipal Financial Recovery Act. And it's three decades past time to start municipal merger talks with New Kensington.
Laurel: To the Kiski Valley Water Pollution Control Authority. The authority's $28 million expansion will do wonders for the water quality in the Kiski River when it's finished in the summer of 2014.
On the “Watch List”:
• The inventor of a wrench manufactured by Penn United Technologies in Jefferson Township claims in a federal lawsuit that Sears misappropriated his patent and is having the slightly modified version made in China. If that's true, Sears has cost our region several dozen jobs and should be sanctioned.
• Ben Roethlisberger. The Steelers quarterback is out of action indefinitely with an upper chest injury and an only lately disclosed serious rib injury that, if not fully healed and the signal-caller were to be hit just so, could lead to a fatal aortic rupture. Backup Byron Leftwich will start when the Steelers host Baltimore on Sunday night. We wish Big Ben a thorough recovery.
- Saturday essay: Banana bike curls
- Go with the flow
- Missile defense: Enabling Russia
- Shooting blanks
- ObamaCare lies: Shocking truths
- The primary: Time for some pruning
- Pittsburgh Tuesday takes
- The Thursday wrap
- Alle-Kiski Tuesday takes
- The IRS & ObamaCare: Leviathan threatens
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.