Greensburg Laurels & Lances
Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012, 8:57 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Lance: To the cost of disregard. Hempfield's $32,000 bill to dredge a creek could climb substantially higher because now the township must restore wetlands that state officials say were damaged by the project. Plus there could be potential fines. What this project has dredged up is an expensive mess for Hempfield taxpayers.
On the “Watch List”:
• Deer. In Southwestern Pennsylvania, there are two types of drivers: Those who have hit deer and those who haven't — yet. Last year Pennsylvania led the nation in deer-vs.-auto crashes. And typically these accidents increase during gun deer season. Motorists who prefer not to bag a buck need to be especially attentive.
• Hempfield supervisors. They voted to proceed with the township's review of a new zoning code, although that outcome was marked by some confusion from at least one supervisor over what exactly he voted for. It also appears that some sups eyeing next year's local election would prefer to defer any zoning conundrums. And how much has the township already invested in the code update?
Laurel (with a caveat): To Jeannette's leaders. Contrary to the city's previous year-end pools of red ink, city fathers say they'll end this year in the black and plan on no tax increase next year. The not-so-good news is an ongoing legal wrangle with a city businessman who's seeking $650,000 and pending contracts with city workers. Here's hoping Jeannette's leaders can keep their fiscal skiff afloat.
- The Benghazi scandal: Obama’s buck
- An inconvenient truth: The CO2 scare
- The IRS hearing: And the nation gasped
- The other pollinators
- Sunday pops
- The Box
- For Pittsburgh mayor: Make it Jack Wagner
- The poster ruling: A necessary slap
- Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
- For Westmoreland County Common Pleas judge: Vote for Bill McCabe
- Primary 2013: 4 for Common Pleas
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.