Alle-Kiski Tuesday takes
Pound foolish: State Rep. Daryl Metcalfe's plan to save some money by closing his Middlesex Township office may save the state some money on salary and rent but it forces his constituents to use only his Cranberry office — on the far west of his district. Middlesex was much more centrally located for the people he represents.
Charlie's day: Things couldn't have gone much better for Charlie Batch on Sunday. The third-string (though journeyman) quarterback, three days shy of his 38th birthday, came off a lousy performance against Cleveland to lead the Steelers to an upset victory in Baltimore over the archrival Ravens. It was a stellar performance from a stellar Steeler that keeps Pittsburgh, now 7-5, solidly in the playoff picture.
Trauma central: Things couldn't be much worse for West Penn Allegheny Health System. Its debt is junk, it's most assuredly headed for bankruptcy and, now, the Securities and Exchange Commission appears ready to sanction the hospital system for bad old-fashioned book cooking. West Penn Allegheny admitted to inflating revenues by, oh, a measly $73 million a few years back. And the smiles grow wider over at UPMC.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- The truth about the VA: Rank dereliction of duty
- Saturday essay: Awaiting the peat
- Unlocking Armstrong County: River journey continues
- Education & entertainment
- The medical device tax: An abject failure
- Those revised gun forms: A full explantion is owed
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
- Greensburg Laurels & Lances