Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
On the “Watch List”:
• The Pittsburgh VA. If, indeed, it fell short in maintaining hospital water systems at its Oakland facility, as a system manufacturer claims, and that resulted in a fatal outbreak of Legionnaires' disease, not only should heads roll but civil and, possibly, criminal charges should be considered. There's simply no excuse.
• The Pittsburgh Steelers. With Dallas ahead on Sunday, and Cincinnati and Cleveland to follow, the wildly inconsistent 7-6 Stillers franchise is doing some serious soul-searching. It's still in the playoff hunt. But if past is prologue — beating good teams and losing to those bad — this will be the December of Discontent for Steelers Nation.
Laurel: To PNC. The banking giant wasted no time (this time) going public when cyberthugs launched a second round of attacks on its website. And that's a positive step. For the best defense against such criminals — in addition to better firewalls and other security measures — is calling out the culprits early, loudly and repeatedly. No one should shrink from confronting this kind of terrorism.
An observation: Pittsburgh City Council has passed legislation allowing the government-directed public shaming of slumlords. That's all fine and dandy. But perhaps it also should pass legislation allowing the public shaming of any council member (think Bill Peduto) who wastes the public's dime and time by honoring music “stars” (think Wiz Khalifa) who wear hats imprinted with the word “DOPE” during the honoring ceremony.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCaffery’s suspension: Castille’s concurrence
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!