Greensburg Laurels & Lances
Published: Thursday, January 3, 2013, 9:01 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
Lance: To the continuing Monsour merry-go-round. Jeannette's engineer says he's been unable to provide a detailed evaluation of the dilapidated Monsour Medical Center building because of lacking architectural drawings. But there are clear signs for concern, including loose siding that could fall onto Route 30. Enough's enough. The hospital's surviving board members and administrators must be brought to account for the intolerable mess they left behind.
On the “Watch List”:
• Jeannette officials. Back in November, city fathers touted an optimistic “balanced” budget. Now comes a report of a $250,000 deficit and the need to reopen the city's 2013 budget for some “minor adjustments.” All of which brings into question the city's fiscal wherewithal.
• Westmoreland's records and forensic center proposal. County officials suggest using a former waste-to-energy plant in Hempfield. But aside from the projected price tag — $800,000 — and how it would be paid, there's the equally important question of the county's return on this proposed investment. Specifically, what efficiencies and/or savings would this center provide?
Lance: To a sick prank. The person who's been using obituaries to call recently widowed women in Greensburg and tell them that he's holding a relative captive should be disconnected posthaste. Here's hoping public tips will lead to the caller. The miscreant should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and ordered to apologize to each woman he called.
- The IRS & ObamaCare: Leviathan threatens
- The Thursday wrap
- ObamaCare lies: Shocking truths
- An inconvenient truth: The CO2 scare
- Sunday pops
- Primary 2013: Elect Sue Means
- Saturday essay: Banana bike curls
- The Box
- Go with the flow
- Missile defense: Enabling Russia
- Shooting blanks
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.