• Irwin's police chief firing. In hush-hush, “personnel matter” fashion, Irwin's council members and the borough's solicitor provided no information after the former's vote to fire police Chief Joseph Pocsatko. Mr. Pocsatko, 37, said he wasn't informed in advance of the council's vote and will file an appeal through the state's Civil Service Commission. Public official, public money. A public explanation is owed.
• Fayette County's Airport Authority. First the board in a 4-1 vote laid off airport Manager Mary Lou Fast and dummied up. A couple of days later, authority board Chairman Terry Shallenberger Jr. resigned. Inquiring minds want to know what's flying under the authority's radar.
• Electronics dumpers. Effective Thursday, residents no longer can dispose of their old electronic devices — TVs, computers, etc. — with the household trash. They have to be recycled. Inevitably, some lunkheads will dump their unwanted electronics in rural areas. Here's hoping local agencies that have taken the lead in “e-waste” recycling will rise to meet the increased demand.
Laurel: To bridging a divide. The commonly used Route 217 bridge over Norfolk Southern Corp.'s railroad tracks, which divide Derry, will remain open while the state constructs a new bridge, transportation officials say. This isn't merely about convenience. Keeping the bridge open is a matter of public safety for Derry's police and fire departments.
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
A division of Trib Total Media is your one-stop-shop for all of your branded merchandise needs.
We specialize in providing quality affordable promotional products for every type of business including non-profits, schools, universities, sports teams and more. With 1000’s of products to choose from, our knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect apparel item or product to suit your needs and budget.
Why use TPSolutions?
• Quality, brand name, screen printed and embroidered apparel
• Competitive prices
• Free design services
• Volume and non-profit discounts available
• Quick turn around
We offer a wide variety of traditional and new digital advertising options customized to fit your needs!
Whether you're just starting out, or you've been a keystone in the community for years, our knowledgeable staff can provide you with a customized package including online banners/advertisements, Social Media Marketing (Facebook / Twitter), Website development, Search Engine Optimization, Email Marketing solutions and much more!
Contact your local sales rep today for details, personalized proposal and a meeting to discuss how we can meet your needs.