The VND's Laurels & Lances
A Laurel & a Lance: To the city of Arnold. The Laurel is for trying to contract its garbage service to a private firm. The Lance is for writing bad contract specifications. Only one firm bid and it wanted to increase the rate for 2,200 residential customers over the current $22 per month. Yeesh! Given the size of Arnold and how close the houses are to each other, the city should be able to get service for less than $40 per quarter. Thankfully, the council rejected the bid and is reworking the specs.
On the “Watch List”:
• Pittsburgh & the 2024 Olympics. The Steel City is one of 35 American cities to receive a letter from the U.S. Olympic Committee attempting to gauge interest in making a bid for the 2024 Summer Games. Says Allegheny County Chief Executive Rich Fitzgerald, “It's definitely something we should take a look at.” Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl says the idea should not be dismissed outright. But given the multigazillion-dollar shellacking taxpayers would take, we have one question for both: Are you guys nuts?
• Curtiss-Wright. Although the Harmar manufacturer supplies Westinghouse with nuclear reactor components, it hasn't followed with layoffs as the nuke industry has slowed. We hope this continues.
Good luck: Vinny Mercurio. The A-K Valley's favorite bartender has hung up his apron after 50 years. Vinny is one of the last connections to New Kensington's heyday as an entertainment — and organized crime — mecca. Enjoy your retirement, Vinny. We'll miss you.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Pennsylvania governor: Re-elect Tom Corbett
- The Box
- Halloween 2014: Have fun but be safe
- Saturday essay: The trolley bus
- For Ohio governor: Re-elect John Kasich
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- Greensburg Laurels & Lances
- For U.S. House, Pa.: Re-elect Rothfus, Shuster, Kelly & Barletta
- Philly’s schools: The real injustice
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances