Alle-Kiski Tuesday takes
Hold the phone!: Mass-transit agencies outside Allegheny County would be wise to question the Port Authority of Allegheny County's new rush to have regional transit authorities merge. Can you say “bailout”?
Conflict of purpose?: You can't have your cake and eat it, too. That's the assessment of the state Insurance Department as it vets Highmark Inc.'s attempt to save West Penn Allegheny Health System as it also seeks to cut a new service contract with chief West Penn competitor, UPMC. While the department (and UPMC, of course) argues that Highmark's efforts are mutually exclusive, Highmark continues to argue that they are not. The barometer is not looking good for Highmark.
Congrats!: We admit it. We thought Burrell and Apollo-Ridge would check out of the WPIAL boys basketball playoffs on Saturday when the teams faced perennial powers Greensburg Central Catholic and Jeannette, respectively. As the saying goes, “That's why they play the game.” Both teams pulled major upsets and move to the WPIAL semifinals tomorrow night. Good luck!
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Armstrong County Laurels & Lances
- Saturday essay: Cruel civilities
- Obama’s problem: He denies reality
- Messrs. Tremba, Haggerty & Molinaro: Connellsville mourns
- Not even a ‘trickle’ of sound economics
- The Thursday wrap
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Greensburg Laurels & Lances
- Auberle continues to heal
- At the Supreme Court: No fishing
- Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances