Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
Laurel: To Steve Zappala. The Allegheny County district attorney has ripped UPMC for misstating the law as it applies to reporting allegations of child sexual assault to police. There have been two alleged cases recently at Western Psych. Regarding one, a UPMC spokeswoman said “involvement of police is on a case-by-case basis.” No it's not — it's mandatory. Mr. Zappala now is reviewing UPMC's policies. As he must.
On the “Watch List”: The VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System says it's making $10 million in upgrades to better control Legionella bacteria at its Oakland and O'Hara campuses. Up to 21 patients contracted Legionnaires' disease between January 2011 and November 2012. Five died. Despite allegations to the contrary, VA officials deny there was “any kind of cover-up.” But given timelines and notifications, that doesn't pass the smell test.
Laurel: To Heather Heidelbaugh. The Republican Allegheny County councilwoman says the practice of Democrat ACE Rich Fitzgerald keeping on file undated letters of resignation for authority board members “flies in the face of having an independent board member.” Mr. Fitzgerald says Ms. Heidelbaugh's position “flies in the face of everything County Council stands for.” Which, dominated by Democrats, is being a rubber stamp for Fitz.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Thanksgiving 2014: Pausing in unison
- Remember our troops
- Economics ignorance: We must do better
- Charter school pablum: Hillary Clinton misleads on education
- U.N. Watch: Iranian showdown
- Sunday pops
- ‘Vetting’ refugees: A dubious U.N. link
- Amnesty’s end run: What rule of law?
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Saturday essay: Prelude to thanks
- The Gerard Mangis sentence: A criminal, coddled