Alle-Kiski Tuesday takes
Not the answer: The Apollo Hose Co. No. 3 came to the borough council last week with its hat in hand seeking additional funding. Since the fire department didn't do a fundraising drive last year — the results weren't “worth the time and the effort,” according to its president — it's looking for financial help from the borough. The council should say no and put its influence behind getting the recalcitrant Hose Co. 2 to agree to a merger with No. 3. That would help both companies.
Fix it: Officials say ongoing state computer outages, occurring since January, are stymieing concealed-weapon licensing at the Westmoreland County Courthouse. Citizens who take time out of their workday to exercise their Second Amendment right shouldn't have to “come back later” to get their licenses. No more excuses. Fix the problem — now.
The streak: The Pittsburgh Penguins go for their 13th-straight win tonight when they host the Montreal Canadiens. The Pens picked up their 12th in a row Sunday with a 2-1 overtime win against the Philadelphia Flyers. It's the Pens, by the way, that hold the NHL's longest overall winning streak at 17 games, set in the 1992-93 season. Hey!
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCaffery’s suspension: Castille’s concurrence
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- The problem with WQED: Fat at the top
- The Thursday wrap
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Sunday pops
- The Box
- Mass shootings: Cooked numbers
- Early voting: Hardly healthy