Greensburg Laurels & Lances
Lance: To Jeannette's Recreation Center “Plan B.” Unable to account for a $65,000 state grant earmarked years ago for a rec center, some city leaders have suggested building a scaled-down — more like slapdash — version. But exactly how is cash-strapped Jeannette going to afford the full cost of this evolving boondoggle? Never mind that the contractor who originally took the money to build a steel frame for the center reportedly can't remember whom he supposedly paid for the job. And the question begs even louder: Where's the money?!
Lance: To disposition of the Monsour Medical Center clean-up bill. A new report pegs the ex-hospital's demolition cost at $1 million. And since the building is filled with an estimated 38,000 square feet of asbestos, no investor is going to buy this dilapidated rat trap in its present state. But why is it presumed that taxpayers must foot the entire cost when no effort (at least not publicly) has been made to hold the hospital's board accountable for what it abandoned, scot-free, seven years ago? And Jeannette officials can't “pinpoint” who's responsible for the building? Nonsense! This is an atrocity for which the miscreants of the Monsour Medical Center must be held accountable.
Laurel: To a true harbinger of spring. Forget the groundhog. Nothing says “spring” like the announced schedule of the SummerSounds concert series in St. Clair Park, Greensburg. The Friday-evening program begins June 7 and continues through Aug. 30. And by then, we trust, it will be safe to leave the winter coats home.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pa. grants & tax credits: Two messes involving taxpayer underwriting of the movie industry demand a thorough investigation
- The Thursday wrap
- Misbehavior pays
- For Pennsylvania governor: Re-elect Tom Corbett
- Halloween 2014: Have fun but be safe
- U.N. Watch: A diminished U.S.
- The new mortgage rules: Fueling bubbles
- Saturday essay: The power of tea
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- Greensburg Laurels & Lances
- For U.S. House, Pa.: Re-elect Rothfus, Shuster, Kelly & Barletta