Greensburg Laurels & Lances
Lance: To dipping into the state's slush fund. With plans for an athletic, educational and cultural center, St. Vincent College wants $8 million from Pennsylvania's contemptible Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program. But the college doesn't want to talk about (or otherwise defend) its request, among the many statewide that total $7 billion. Nope, the preferred protocol is to keep your mouth shut — and maybe you'll get the cash. No need to draw any attention to this pathetic system for divvying up the taxpayers' pie. It's more like a pie in the face.
Laurel: To a teacher's well-deserved lesson. The former Franklin Regional gym teacher and coach asked for leniency. What he got was five to 10 years in state prison, followed by 10 years' probation, for having a sexual relationship with a student, who was 16 at the time. Bret Anthony Thompson, 43, pleaded guilty to 46 charges. One seriously has to wonder what the so-called adults were thinking in these recurring cases. Let this one be a lesson to all.
Laurel: To the “G7” Summit. It's tough to put a precise dollar value on what's being saved in local costs by this cooperative confab, which in its fourth year brought together officials from Mt. Pleasant, Scottdale, South Connellsville, Connellsville, Everson, New Stanton and Youngwood. At the very least, leaders of these municipalities are talking to each other. And that helps sow the seeds of cooperation where few (if any) previously existed.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCaffery’s suspension: Castille’s concurrence
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- Early voting: Hardly healthy
- The problem with WQED: Fat at the top
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Connellsville Area’s basketball coach conundrum
- The Penguins’ TIF
- Mass shootings: Cooked numbers
- Tom Wolf & taxes: Let’s get ‘granular’