Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
On the “Watch List”: There is Marcellus drilling all over the Alle-Kiski Valley. The price of natural gas continues to drop. Despite this, Peoples TWP, the Valley's largest natural gas supplier, is asking the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission for a rate increase that would hike our bills by almost 30 percent. The PUC needs to go through this request with the proverbial fine-tooth comb.
Laurel: To inter-county, inter-school cooperation. Faced with a dwindling pool of potential students and flat funding, the Butler County Community College and the Community College of Beaver County plan to explore a merger. It's a smart move to examine this option before the lack of students and funding becomes a crisis.
Lance: To Carnegie-Mellon University. The school's College of Fine Arts allowed a woman to march in its spring carnival parade naked from the waist down. Her pubic hair was shaved in the shape of a cross. Her top attire was described as “a papal parody.” Many, naturally, took offense. We're all for free expression. But by any standard, this was tasteless.
Congrats!: Valley, Fox Chapel and Riverview high schools all earned silver medals in the annual U.S. News & World Report rankings, which rate schools based on academic achievement, combined with socioeconomic and other factors. Five other A-K Valley high schools earned bronze medals.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- The revolving door: Washington’s ‘gift’
- U.N. Watch: Another jaded ‘inquiry’
- Expanding Medicaid: Gov.-elect Wolf embraces a false premise
- The Kathleen Kane chronicles: New and serious questions are being raised about the Pa. attorney general
- The regulatory state: EPA picks a fight
- Sunday pops
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- The Box
- Pension reform should not be linked to a natural gas extraction tax
- Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
- Pa. open records: Kathleen Kane’s ‘shell game’