Greensburg Tuesday takes
Another study?: Why do Jeannette's leaders need another city-staffing study — $26,000 and funded through a state grant — when the city council paid no heed to recommendations of the last study of city services just two years ago? Ad infinitum, Jeannette's leaders have been told that the cash-strapped city cannot sustain its business-as-usual disregard. Conducting another study that says the same thing only furthers the argument for the state's Act 47 takeover of Jeannette.
300,000 & counting: It's hard to believe that just a few years ago, the loneliest place in Westmoreland County was the terminal at Arnold Palmer Regional Airport. Now the terminal has surpassed 300,000 passengers and Spirit Airlines has begun flights to and from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. Here's hoping that besides talk about a new terminal, the airport's short-term future will include more metropolitan destinations and, most importantly, a second commercial carrier.
Bear in the headlights: Never mind deer. Two recent Westmoreland County traffic accidents involving young black bears (in East Huntingdon and Mt. Pleasant Township) are a reminder to all that bears are on the move for the next two months during mating season. Beyond extra attention on roads, residents should exercise caution wherever bears venture, including local neighborhoods. And young children should know to stay away from them.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCaffery’s suspension: Castille’s concurrence
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- Early voting: Hardly healthy
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
- Saturday essay: A box of Halloween
- Greensburg Laurels & Lances
- The Paycheck Fairness Act: It’s not needed
- The U.S. Steel grant: There’s no excuse
- Tom Wolf’s ‘Fresh Start’: Vague & stale