Greensburg Laurels & Lances
Lance: To the sheriff's deputies shades fiasco. In the latest flare-up between Westmoreland commissioners and Sheriff Jonathan Held, the county's leaders blame Mr. Held for the purchase of pricey designer sunglasses ($112 per pair) by 14 staffers as part of their uniforms allowance. Held says the fault lies with the commissioners, who approved the list of items eligible for purchase. But, in typical government fashion, nobody accepts responsibility. Bottom line: They're Held's deputies. It's Held's headache.
An observation: Sewickley Township will keep its Community Ambulance Service under a deal that requires the Rostraver/West Newton Emergency Services to work with the ambulance corps and provide financial oversight. Reportedly the ambulance's financials earlier this year were abysmal. It is, nevertheless, unfortunate that this sensible solution didn't present itself, as least not publicly, before supervisors tapped Jeannette EMS to take over ambulance services — and the unnecessary confusion that caused.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- The regulatory state: EPA picks a fight
- A manger’s light
- Ford City’s solution: Good side to cop cuts
- Holiday Gift Club: The spirit of the season
- The Kathleen Kane chronicles: New and serious questions are being raised about the Pa. attorney general
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Union ‘fairness’: The dues racket
- Greensburg Laurels & Lances
- Obama’s Cuba deal: More appeasement
- Sunday pops
- Sunday pops