Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
Laurel: To PennDOT. Finally, we have some good news about the seemingly interminable Route 28 project, which has tortured Alle-Kiski commuters for years. PennDOT will open a second northbound lane in the construction zone by the end of the year, not in the fall of 2014.
Lance: To the Allegheny Valley School Board. Although district enrollment keeps shrinking, the board won't close a school, even one — Colfax — that needs millions of dollars to fix. This board continues the AVSB trend of loading up its taxpayers with debt rather than dealing realistically with dropping enrollment, reduced state subsidies and lower property values. The board has more vacant classrooms than common sense.
On the “Watch List”: Drivers. School has started in several A-K districts and the rest will be back to class soon. So it's time to remind motorists to be alert for kids of all ages, especially in the early morning and late afternoon. So, here's the drill: Obey crossing guards, stop for buses with flashing red lights and expect that kid to dart out from between two parked cars. And slow down!
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greensburg Tuesday takes
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
- For U.S. House, Pa.: Re-elect Rothfus, Shuster, Kelly & Barletta
- The Fast & Furious scandal: Sunshine ahead?
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- Monsour’s legacy: A bitter pill
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley
- McCaffery’s suspension: Castille’s concurrence