The Thursday wrap
Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker claimed last week that domestic manufacturers are making products “at an all-time record pace.” But economics scholar Alan Tonelson says the inflation-adjusted U.S. manufacturing production index for July was 4.24 percent below what it was at its December 2007 peak. Yet another in a long line of Obama administration fabrications. ... Making the rounds to an email in-box near you is a faux rendering of the National Security Agency seal with this slogan: “Peeping while you're sleeping.” And under the seal, this: “The NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.” Sad but true. ... The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board says 102 wine and spirits stores will extend their hours. Amazing what the specter of losing its monopoly on such sales does to an organization, eh? ... The New York Times and The Associated Press have begun referring to convicted secrets leaker Bradley Manning, who apparently wants taxpayers to foot the bill for a sex-change transformation in prison, as “Chelsea Manning, formerly known as Pfc. Bradley Manning,” then “she” on subsequent references. That, they say, is to honor Mr. Manning's request to be addressed as a female. So much for journalism standing up for accuracy. ... How about that Miley Cyrus? She might be a role model for twerkers but that's not saying much. And we can only wonder how long it took doctors to re-implant her tongue into her mouth.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- McCaffery’s suspension: Castille’s concurrence
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley
- Early voting: Hardly healthy
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- The Paycheck Fairness Act: It’s not needed
- McCaffery’s emails: Legitimate ‘prying’
- The case against ‘Father Joe’: Five years too late
- The Thursday wrap
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Saturday essay: A box of Halloween