Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
Lance: To the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust. It's trying to bully Joe Wos, executive director of the ToonSeum (in the Cultural District) to stop selling his “Quack N' At” T-shirts, an ode to the trust's giant floating “The Rubber Duck” exhibit coming to town next week. There's no copyright or trademark infringement here. But it appears as if the Cultural Trust wants total control over any and all promotion of what's really a public art event. And the trust's tacit threat that Mr. Wos will pay a price for exercising his artistic freedom is beneath it.
On the “Watch List”:
• The Pittsburgh Steelers. They continued to look anemic (and that's being kind) in Monday night's 20-10 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. The offense, save quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, couldn't save Big Ben. The defense was flaccid. And the 2-0 Chicago Bears, who beat the Bengals in their mutual opener, are in town Sunday night. Steeler Nation is feeling quite blue at 0-2 and wondering what coach(es) will be set free should Monday next dawn at 0-3.
• The Pittsburgh Pirates. The Battlin' Buccos soon, hopefully, are expected to clinch their first playoff berth since 1992. And in preparation, the team has the celebratory champagne ready to pop. That's all fine and dandy but might we suggest goggles all around (for obvious reasons) and more than a few extra rubs on those antique Green Weenies (to remove the jinx of all this bubbly talk)?
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Thanksgiving 2014: Pausing in unison
- Remember our troops
- Greensburg Tuesday takes
- Economics ignorance: We must do better
- Charter school pablum: Hillary Clinton misleads on education
- The Gerard Mangis sentence: A criminal, coddled
- Pittsburgh Tuesday takes
- Cyber insecurity: The feds fail to protect the public’s data
- Amnesty’s end run: What rule of law?
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Sunday pops