The Obama administration has backed away from another red line — that Syria produce for international inspectors a list of its chemical weapons stockpile and facilities within seven days. That deadline was Saturday. And it was part and parcel to that much ballyhooed “breakthrough” deal that the United States cut with Russia. Parsed State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf: “We never said it was a hard and fast deadline.” Which, of course, is a blatant lie. No one should believe anything this administration says. ... Not only did Barack Obama's IRS illegally target conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status with hellish harassment, it engaged in clandestine surveillance of them even after its illegalities were exposed, investigators say. If it takes an old-fashioned public pillorying followed by tarring and feathering to bring the IRS to justice, then so be it. ... Ecotality Inc. is the latest Obama green energy venture to go belly up. Headed by Pitt graduate H. Raul Brar, the maker of electric car-charging stations now is in bankruptcy. It suckered the Department of Energy to give it nearly $127 million in public money. Which now is lining one very deep rathole. ... Patriot-News political writer Rob Vickers, in noting that Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich, Pat Toomey and Tom Ridge will or likely will be supporting Tom Corbett for re-election, refers to them as “the only ... prominent contemporary commonwealth Republican(s).” Suh-LAPPPP!
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Halloween 2014: Have fun but be safe
- Saturday essay: The trolley bus
- For Ohio governor: Re-elect John Kasich
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- For U.S. House, Pa.: Re-elect Rothfus, Shuster, Kelly & Barletta
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Greensburg Laurels & Lances
- Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley
- Monsour’s legacy: A bitter pill