Alle-Kiski Tuesday takes
Tough losses for Burrell: The Burrell School District is mourning the loss of two valued members this month: school board member Scott Fisher and sports booster Tim Horwatt.
Horwatt led booster groups for football and supported the district's rugby club and wrestling team. Fisher, a board member since 2004 and past board president, also was involved with the district's softball team.
Both gave generously of their time and talents for the district's students and both will be missed.
Costly mistake: Modified Concrete Suppliers, the company that inadvertently dumped 800 gallons of a concrete sealer into Pine Creek in Washington Township, likely won't make that mistake again. They had to hire an environmental cleanup company to clear the creek and could face fines from the state Department of Environmental Protection. Perhaps training for employees on handling unwanted chemicals is in order as well.
Woe be the Steelers: The holders of a record six Super Bowl titles are a stinking embarrassment this season. Pittsburgh is 0-3 after Sunday night's 40-23 loss to the Chicago Bears. It's scrubbing the basement floor of the AFC North. The Steelers travel to London this week to face the Minnesota Vikings, also 0-3. Somebody will pick up their first win. And if you have a sinking feeling that it won't be Pittsburgh, join the club.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Saturday essay: Change in the air
- Connellsville bright spots, but more work needed
- The Gulftainer deal: Ports of peril?
- Pittsburgh Laurels & Lances
- Greensburg Laurels & Lances
- Alle-Kiski Laurels & Lances
- The China question
- The House lawsuit: Necessary & proper
- Greensburg Tuesday takes
- Celebrating South Connellsville Volunteer Fire Co.’s 100th anniversary
- Payments in lieu of taxes: It’s worth a try in Kittanning