The Edwin S. Porter Theater returns
The Edwin S. Porter Theater in the Connellsville Community Center is coming to life. This weekend, local talent is putting on a musical review — “Broadway ... Recently.”
It's just one of many upcoming programs that are being planned for the renovated theater.
The resurgence of the theater started several years ago, when various entities realized its importance and took steps to start a renovation project.
The city and the redevelopment authority allocated some Community Development Block Grant money to help with the project.
Additionally, the Fayette County Cultural Trust, which also got involved in the theater's revitalization, searched for and received thousands of dollars in grants from various sources.
Volunteers from throughout the community have joined forces to help with renovations at the theater and have searched for groups and programs to come in and use the theater.
Students and teachers from the Connellsville Career and Technical Center, as well, have been invaluable in using their talents to help with theater renovations.
All involved in the theater's revitalization deserve the community's thanks. Residents can show their support by visiting the theater. Instead of traveling elsewhere for entertainment, why not enjoy the talents of our local community?
The theater is a part of this city's history. Let's support our volunteers, community and local talent.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For U.S. Senate, W.Va.: Elect Shelley Moore Capito
- Monsour’s legacy: A bitter pill
- Mass shootings: Cooked numbers
- McCaffery’s suspension: Castille’s concurrence
- Early voting: Hardly healthy
- U.N. Watch: Gun-grabbers unite!
- The Paycheck Fairness Act: It’s not needed
- For the Pennsylvania House: Ortitay, Krieger and Logan
- For U.S. House in Ohio & West Virginia: Bill Johnson and David McKinley